Thursday, August 23, 2007

Everybody Polka!

This is part of a journal entry series for a class taken in Spring 2007. Topics are addressed along with our image of God-- how the topic affects our image of God, how our image of God affects our life.

I love traveling, living amongst and studying other cultures (my undergrad minor). Culture is hard to define since just about everything we do, say, or think reflects or builds into culture. It maintains a certain foundation, yet is composed of sub-culture and shifts. As I write this entry, I will primarily speak from the cultural perspective that has influenced me the most (white, mid-class, strong Austrian influence, small town Midwesterner). Yet, I will also attempt to consider a wider cultural net.

Cultures are a beautiful thing. God created a multitude of cultures as He scattered people throughout the world, and gave them a variety of languages, yet preserving our humanity within culture. As I think about culture, it is easy to compare positive and frustrating experiences. However, I do this completely from my cultural standpoint. If my reaction to something is abhorrent, I must examine why I think that. Would God be abhorred?

Unfortunately, the church is still trying to understand Christianity cross-culturally. In the past, most missions meant imposing a cultural footprint upon those who accepted Christ. To accept Christ also meant, “Ok, now you have to become like us.” (Without ever really being able to do so, and maybe, even adopt some self-loathing. Repent that you’re Black, Hispanic, Asian, Poor, a Woman, etc.)

When I consider that someone must be like me, worship in my manner, and adopt the same cultural values, then God’s image becomes a white, mid-class, small town Midwesterner. A superiority is created, God values my culture, not yours. You must participate in Polka Mass to be acceptable. Equality in Christ becomes second to culture, class and race.

Missionary work has certainly taken strides away from the image of Spanish Conquistadors. However, the danger still lurks, because the majority of my formative church experience and influences are centered in this culture. I am forced to consider, “Is this the way it is suppose to be done, because that is what Christ desired or because that is the way the church does it?” This is evident at times in cross-cultural communion— is it not communion if you use mango juice and saltines? Or even issues of alcohol— American churches disagree on this issue, and culture complicates its consideration— is part of accepting Jesus to completely abstain? Must I be circumcised?

Up until this moment I considered God working very counter-cultural. I certainly think that God from the beginning has had a radical plan as to what culture and community looks like. He also moved very counter-cultural regarding socio-political and religious system (i.e., no poor among you, God as King). He desired to shape Israel as a nation of blessing, a nation to impact, and draw others to the one and only true God.

God also worked very much within the Jewish culture. Jesus came as a Jewish male to impact the Jews first and then the world. He also did things that were not culturally kosher: healing and talking to Gentiles, interacting with women, children, tax collectors and a general collection of sinners. All of this may have been counter-cultural, but I picture Jesus more as redefining culture especially considering the church in the early beginnings (Acts). Redefining not only who the people of God were, but also how the people of God truly lived in relationship with Him and one another. God did not come to abolish culture— he created it and embraces its diverse magnitude.

Even within our overarching American culture, I must consider what it truly means to live as the people of God. A polka mass is not a necessity to accepting Jesus or determining your eternal standing. How do I help redefine culture in my actions? Does being counter-cultural mean I must force everyone to do Christianity like I do? I grew up Catholic, stepped away from God, and after college, once again became a (Protestant) Christian. Although, I have been a Christian for 10 years, there are many things I do not understand about Church-culture. At times, this puts me culturally outside, but should there be inside and outside in Christianity? Is this the redefinition that God is calling us to— creating a culture where diversity is accepted, but lines of inside and outside are erased?

There are certainly aspects of all cultures that could surrender to God’s holy sovereignty; however, God does not expect or desire one big homogeneous, ‘white-washed’Publish Post polka-dancing blob. (Nothing wrong with a good Polka though!) Therefore, I must also be willing to embrace a variety of people, and be culturally aware considering our similarities and our differences. It is interacting with others that my image of God is tested and expanded. I must consider God a part of, yet, beyond my cultural parameters and social demographics.


No comments: